Chesterfield County Criminal Lawyer
Being charged with a crime can be a life-changing event. You may face numerous questions in a high-stress situation, and it is easy to be overwhelmed and frustrated. At a time when one mistake could affect the rest of your life, it can seem nearly impossible to make the right decisions on your own. However, one way to eliminate the worry and get back on the right track is to consult a Chesterfield County criminal lawyer. With an experienced Virginia criminal defense attorney on your side, you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that you have someone dedicated to fighting for your rights.
Crime in Chesterfield County
The crime rate in Chesterfield County is better than many surrounding Virginia counties. Still, it can be easy for police officers and witnesses to misidentify the perpetrator of a crime, to make unfounded assumptions about the nature of the events taking place, or to charge someone with a more serious crime than was actually committed. When you are facing charges, an experienced attorney can make the legal process easier to navigate and can ensure that you receive a rigorous defense.
Types of Criminal Charges
Your Chesterfield County criminal lawyer will fight for your rights, including the right to a fair trial, and will guide you through the steps you need to take in preparing a successful defense strategy. Criminal violations encompass a wide range of charges, including:
- Traffic Misdemeanors and Felonies–Criminal traffic charges include DUI/DWI, reckless driving, hit and run accidents, driving without a license, and failure to stop for a police officer. Penalties include fines and possible jail time. You may also have your license suspended or revoked depending on the charge.
- Violent Crimes–Violent crimes often carry some of the most serious sentences. Crimes in this category include homicide, assault, battery, robbery, gun crimes, domestic violence, and hate crimes. Depending on the nature of the charge, you could be facing several years to life in prison, huge fines, and even the death penalty.
- Financial Crimes–Tax evasion, fraud, embezzlement, and identity theft fall into the category of financial crime and could result in jail time, fines, and restitution payments.
- Sexual Crimes—Sexual crimes include rape, sexual assault, prostitution and solicitation, solicitation of a minor, incest, and lewd conduct. In addition to jail time and fines, you could also have your name added to the national sex offender registry, a result which may affect your ability to get a job or to move into certain areas.
- Drug Crimes– Drug crimes can include everything from simple possession to possession with intent to distribute. Convictions often come with heavy fines and jail time.
Having a Chesterfield County criminal lawyer can be extremely helpful throughout the entire judicial process. Your lawyer can handle the intricacies of jury selection, behind-the-scenes negotiations (in the event of a plea bargain for a lighter sentence or reduced charges), evidence gathering, courtroom proceedings, and much more. A lawyer can explain your options to you and advise you on what course of action to take. After the judge or the jury has reached a decision, your lawyer can advise you whether or not to enter an appeal based on the facts pertaining to the case.
Other Practice Areas
When your reputation and freedom are at stakeHiring a Chesterfield County criminal attorney, it helps to have an attorney who has experience litigating criminal cases and who will argue your case aggressively in the courtroom. With a Chesterfield County criminal lawyer on your side, you gain the benefit of years of experience and detailed knowledge of the law. Hiring an attorney ensures that you have a strong advocate who can provide legal counsel every step of the way and who can prevent you from getting lost in the complicated proceedings both in and out of the courtroom.
If you are facing criminal charges, hiring a lawyer is one of the best courses of action you can take. Don’t risk the possibility of facing a more serious sentence than you should or of becoming another courtroom statistic. If you or someone you know is facing criminal charges, call our office for a consultation today.
By: James L.
First rate, professional lawyer. Michael kept me apprised of the court date and what to expect. He handled my case quickly and outcome was as expected.